Saturday, February 20, 2010

Ling's on Broadway

So my boss read somewhere that this restaurant, which is so close to my work, has the best shiu-long-bao in Vancouver. Of course we have to chech it out. It was a smart thing to go there early because the place fills up fast!


The shiu-long-bao arrived first. I wonder if the waitress forgot it on the ledge or something because it did not came out steaming, which is disappointing because that takes away the visual and sense of smell that contributes to a good basket of bao. But I have to admit the skin is thin but with a good texture, and the filling is meaty and well seasoned. The seasoning is more soy sauce than the ones in other restaurants, so you don't really need the dark vinegar, but they are still a good combo.


The pan fried bun would be my favourite. The skin is doughy with crispy bottom and the filling is juicy too. Great presentation on the green plate and shallot on top.


The last dish we ordered is the pork with preserved vegetable noodle in soup, such a mouthfull (not in the good way) when in Chinese you can just say 雪菜肉絲湯麵. The noodles were made well but cooked a tad too long. So after soaked in soup they really got soggy. The pork with preserved vegetable is a bit bland for my taste, but I can see people would enjoy it.

Overall, great service, decent food, and good price (under $7 each dish, I think). Don't know about the best in the city? But it is a good restaurant for a simple meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment